it's been a long time...
久しぶりだよね! It's been a long time! I feel like maybe it's been a long time since Kushima's actually ordered his bento, lately he's been going out and getting ramen - lucky guy! I'm not allowed to leave school on my lunch break (>_<) You know mom, I think you'll get a kick out of this first picture... notice how messy everyone's desks are? That should make you feel good, eh... makes our kitchen table look organized, doesn't it!

You know, I really didn't think this one looked so bad. I mean, I'm not saying I would even consider eating it... but it definitely wasn't the worst bento I've seen. I'll tell you what though... it reeked!

Alright, we have some fried fish and this white puffy thing... Now, I asked about the white puffy thing, as usual I thought it was tofu but I think Kushima said it was some sort of fish puff... but don't quote me on that.
This was daikon and pork. Not so bad, really...
Alright, vegetables... maybe spinach, carrots, daikon and the brown thing in the tin cup, I asked Kushima what that was and the Japanese for it was キクラゲ(木耳 - kikurage), when I looked it up in my dictionary it translated as "Judas's-ear" or something like that ??? Anyone ever heard of that? I know I haven't...
Nasty. Slimey. Hospital food? I think this was cabbage and maybe some pork in some slimey lookin sauce...
There you have it. It's been a whileねー. Again, this lunch wasn't so bad... I'm sure Yancy's drooling just looking at the pictures (^-^)



3 Comments:
I am drooling--especially since I haven't eaten since breakfast, & all we have going is some frozen lasagna (so much energy planning Thursday's meal, we forgot about today . . .)
oh, & google tells me that Judas' Ear is a type of mushroom--if curious, try this link about Judas' Ear mushrooms
great post!
Well I was getting ready to cook dinner...but now I just don't know.
DAD
Yancy, that was a really great link about the Judas's Ear... I'm actually going to post what it said because I want you all to think about the fact that this is the type of food that Japanese people eat...
"Judas' Ear Mushroom
A type of mushroom that resembles a large ear when it is fresh and grows as large as half a foot. The surface of the mushroom is purplish-gray in color and the flesh is a dark purplish gray to almost black in color. IT HAS VERY LITTLE FLAVOR, but is used mainly for its firm, gelatinous texture and for the color. WITH A FIRM, ALMOST RUBBERY TEXTURE, IT MAYBE BE BEST TO SLICE INTO SMALL BITS IN ORDER TO MAKE IT MORE EASILY CHEWED AND DIGESTED. The mushroom is available both fresh and dried. Judas' Ear mushrooms are also known as Tree Ear and Wood Ear mushrooms."
I also want to add that how much more sense it makes to me know since the Japanese kanji (木耳) is tree (木) and ear (耳).
Post a Comment
<< Home