Friday, September 01, 2006

the missing link

I suppose this post is really more about the missing pictures... These are some of the pictures I wanted to post about my school festival but I just couldn't get them up. No matter, they're up now so let's get to them!




Unfortunately this picture is a little blurry but this was band practice. The students actually stayed at school well past 9pm the night before the festival practicing for the next day. I stayed with them until around 8:30 but I had plans to meet someone so I had to take off. However, I did meet up with them again bright and early at 7am the next morning! Now that's dedication (on their behalf, not mine (^-^))



Well, unfortunately, I don't know who this is. However, here you get an idea of the masks the kids were wearing in the haunted house I mentioned. Pretty expressionless and utterly creepy. I will say that I think I scared them pretty well when the flash on this picture went off (^-^)


Moving on...
How did my kids do with their UN projects, you might wonder...



Pretty good, if I do say so myself. I'm not entirely sure that they understood everything they were working with but I take most of the responsibility for that. I really should have spent one or two lessons going over key vocabulary they would all be working with (i.e. sustainable development, sanctions, refugee, etc...) Anyway, here you see the posters on the history of the UN as well as UNICEF (why did the kids use a lower-case "f"? I have no idea (^-^))



The UNHCR and the WFP. I'm not sure if you'll be able to click on the pictures and enlarge them but I hope you can and you can get a sense of the content of the posters.



The IMF and the UNDP. Of course, the UNDP holds a special spot in my heart, but I thought the girls in this group did a good job.


Quite possibly my favorite picture from the festival... After the doors had been closed to the public and the kids were getting ready for the last stretch of the festival, I caught these boys taking the burden upon themselves of finishing off all the icecream in the tub so that it wouldn't melt. How consciencious of them, right? (^-^) Anyway, Miwa is in the striped shirt, Shun is behind him, Fuminori has his arm in the icecream tub and Taka is next to him

3 Comments:

Blogger a*merrica said...

a hawk! taka means hawk (^-^)

03 September, 2006 01:46  
Blogger Unknown said...

So remind me: did you grade the kids on the UN thing? Did they exhibit the posters for the whole school? What did people think?

Sounds like it went pretty well--nice work!

09 September, 2006 13:58  
Blogger a*merrica said...

I did grade the kids, actually. For their midterms, 10 points were based on these presentations. Most kids did alright, not too many super stars though. The posters were on display at the school festival for all to see. It was a pretty hectic day so unfortunately I didn't get too much feedback on them. Actually, we've been pretty lazy about this but, we are planning, at some point, to hang the posters up around the school for the other students to see and what not...
I think next time I'm going to try and choose a topic a little less... daunting/serious for them

17 September, 2006 04:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home