this year's a tough one for me... no doubt about it
I think Charlie Brown said it best...
“Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos.”
Well, I'm saying goodbye to a lot of kids that have really meant a lot to me on my stay here so far. I'll try not to get too sentimental and rather let Charlie Brown convey most of the feeling for me... I just thought I'd share the pictures from the last class I had with my boys, my favorites of favorites.
So, for our last class the boys requested we cook "American food" and what is more "American" than cheeseburgers with macaroni and cheese? I woulda made apple pie too if I had the patience... The math teacher, Mr. Shindo, who has them the hour before me, was kind enough to cancel his class to allow me 2 hours with them so we could cook our feast, and it was so fun! The kids worked in three groups; one with the cheese burgers, one with the mac & cheese and one making oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (yummy!!!) (^-^) It's just one more great memory of them that I'll have with me. Shit. Now I'm gettin all sentimental... On to the pictures!
My Boys
From the left you see Daichi, Michiru and Hisashi in the back, all three working on the cheeseburgers, and yes, using chopsticks (^-^)
This kid is too funny and too sweet. Tasuku was also on the cheeseburger team though apparently he didn't need the chopsticks
Now, making macaroni and cheese just isn't an interesting enough process I guess, either that or it's too quick because I just didn't get any pictures of the kids working on it. I did, however, manage to get Tatsuya washing some dishes and the mac & cheese already dished out and ready to go
Seiya and Tomoru washing their hands after scooping out some cookie dough... and just so you know, those cookies were delicious! In fact, everything was delicious (^-^)
Hisashi with his head down, Takayuki, Mitsunori, Michiru and Daichi preparing their burger masterpieces
Takayuki, halk of Tasuku (who, might I add, said he didn't want any vegetables on his burger because he doesn't like vegetables and then proceeded to eat half the lettuce. When asked about his peculiar behavior he responded "I only like green vegetables" and with further questioning replied "Yes, even brocolli asparagus." That just made me laugh) moving on, Mitsunori and Michiru again
Keigo and Mitsunori had been on the mac & cheese team, such great kids. I think they really had a good time... I'm gonna miss them!!!
Shogo, Tomoru, Seiya and Keigo just chillin... I'm not sure if this is after eating or maybe waiting for their chance to get some condiments...
A very nice group shot. Starting with Misawa Sensei and going along the top you'll see Masayuki, Tatsuya, Keigo, Mitsunori, Masato, Michiru, Shogo, Tasuku and Takayuki and then starting with me, Tomoru, Seiya, Hisashi and Daichi (^-^)v
English Club (plus or minus)
My last day for English Club, what was originally two girls and a boy ended with no less than 7 boys - one original - and no girls. Maiko got sick (there is definitely a flu epidemic at that school!) and Ikumi is studying so hard for her college entrance exams... they just couldn't come. We had a great time anyway though. We made the most delicious crunchy-vanilla-almond french toast who's recipe I got from the wonderful Rachel Ray on 30 Minute Meals, and it was really really fantastic! Of course, besides the food tasting so good it was just fun watching 7 Japanese high school boys making this french toast (^-^)

From the left we have Yosuke, Tomoru, (Nobuhiko), Yasumichi, Kosei, Yohei and Kyohei. Some mixing, some dipping and some frying

A little more up close and in the action... Kosei dipping, Kyohei soaking and Yohei reading the directions
Yasumichi frying some french toast... I have to say, if you haven't tried this recipe, go out and buy the ingredients!!! It is so gosh darn delicious!
Yohei, Tomoru, Nobuhiko and Yasumichi still cookin... It really was fun and delicious! We actually had tons of extra toast at the end of the afternoon so that we could offer some to the teachers in the office and we even brought some to Ikumi while she studied (^-^)
All in all it was quite a fun day - if not a little filling (^-^) I will miss those kids terribly after they graduate... although my diet will probably fair a little better (^-^)
I was able, also, to have a last meeting with Maiko as well. We played "The Game of Life" which was the first time for the both of us and I really enjoyed it! I really hope my final year here will be as rewarding as the past two have been.



3 Comments:
not bad pics; sounds like you had some fun . . .
oh, & I thought that "saki" meant "dried"--why am I wrong?
Well, as far as I can tell "saki" comes from the verb "saku" (割く or 裂く - to characters for the same word apparently...) which means (according to my dictionary) tear, split, rip, divide, seperate. Now, I could be wrong in assuming that "saki-ika" - the present form of "saku" which means "to tear, etc..." - means shredded squid... and honestly, with how crazy this language is, I wouldn't doubt it for a second.
On that note... I'll get back to you (^-^)
ps. "dried" is "kansou" (乾燥)
Post a Comment
<< Home